Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Noun: action ak-shun
- Something done (usually as opposed to something said)
"there were stories of murders and other unnatural actions"
- The state of being active
"he is out of action";
- activity, activeness
- (military) a military engagement
"he saw action in Korea";
- military action
- A process existing in or produced by nature (rather than by the intent of human beings)
"the action of natural forces"; "the natural action of natural forces";
- natural process, natural action, activity
- The series of events that form a plot
"his novels always have a lot of action"
- The trait of being active and energetic and forceful
"a man of action"
- The operating part that transmits power to a mechanism
"the piano had a very stiff action";
- action mechanism
- (law) a judicial proceeding brought by one party against another; one party prosecutes another for a wrong done or for protection of a right or for prevention of a wrong
- legal action, action at law
- An act by a government body or supranational organization
"recent federal action undermined the segregationist position"; "the United Nations must have the power to propose and organize action without being hobbled by irrelevant issues"; "the Union action of emancipating Southern slaves"
- The most important or interesting work or activity in a specific area or field
"the action is no longer in technology stocks but in municipal bonds"; "gawkers always try to get as close to the action as possible"
- Institute legal proceedings against; file a suit against
"She actioned the company for discrimination";
- sue, litigate, process
- Cause to happen; complete successfully
"He actioned the operation";
- carry through, accomplish, execute, carry out, fulfill [N. Amer], fulfil [Brit, Cdn]
Anagrams created from the word action