Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Verb: answer ãn-su(r)
- React verbally
"answer the question"; "We answered that we would accept the invitation"; "She didn't want to answer";
- reply, respond
- Respond to a signal
"answer the door"; "answer the telephone"
- Give the correct answer or solution to
"answer a question"; "answer the riddle"
- Understand the meaning of
"The question concerning the meaning of life cannot be answered";
- Give a defence or refutation of (a charge) or in (an argument)
"The defendant answered to all the charges of the prosecution"
- Be liable or accountable
"She must answer for her actions"
- Be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity
"A few words would answer";
- suffice, do, serve
- Match or correspond
"The drawing of the suspect answers to the description the victim gave"
- Be satisfactory for; meet the requirements of or serve the purpose of
"This may answer her needs"
- React to a stimulus or command
"The steering of my new car answers to the slightest touch"
- A statement (either spoken or written) that is made to reply to a question or request or criticism or accusation
"I waited several days for his answer";
- reply, response
- A statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem
"the answers were in the back of the book";
- solution, result, resolution, solvent
- The speech act of replying to a question
- (law) the principal pleading by the defendant in response to plaintiff's complaint; in criminal law it consists of the defendant's plea of 'guilty' or 'not guilty' (or nolo contendere); in civil law it must contain denials of all allegations in the plaintiff's complaint that the defendant hopes to controvert and it can contain affirmative defences or counterclaims
- A nonverbal reaction
"his answer to any problem was to get drunk"; "their answer was to sue me"
Anagrams created from the word answer