Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Adverb: behind bi'hInd
- In, to or toward the rear
"he followed behind"; "seen from behind, the house is more imposing than it is from the front"; "the final runners were far behind"
- Remaining in a place or condition that has been left or departed from
"when he died he left much unfinished work behind"; "left a large family behind"; "the children left their books behind"; "he took off with a squeal of tires and left the other cars far behind"
- (of timepieces) with the time showing earlier than is correct
"my watch is running behind";
- In or into an inferior position
"fell behind in his studies"; "their business was lagging behind in the competition for customers"
- In debt
"he fell behind with his mortgage payments"; "a month behind in the rent";
- behindhand, in arrears
- Further back than; at the back of; at the far side of
"look behind you"; "behind the door"
- In support of
"I'm behind you on this"
- Coming at a later time or previous position
"he leaves a trail of destruction behind him";
- following, after
- The fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
"he deserves a good kick in the behind";
- buttocks, nates, butt, backside, bum, buns [N. Amer], can [N. Amer, informal], fundament, hindquarters, hind end, posterior, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush [N. Amer], bottom, derriere, heinie [US], derrière
- Having the lower score or lagging position in a contest
"behind by two points"
Anagrams created from the word behind