Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Noun: number núm-bu(r)
- The property possessed by a sum or total or indefinite quantity of units or individuals
"he had a number of chores to do"; "the number of parameters is small";
- A concept of quantity involving zero and units
"every number has a unique position in the sequence"
- A short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program
"it was one of the best numbers he ever did";
- act, routine, turn, bit
- The numerical code that is used in calling a particular telephone
"he has an unlisted number";
- phone number, telephone number
- A symbol used to represent a number
"he learned to write the numbers before he went to school";
- One of a series published periodically
- A select company of people
"I hope to become one of their number before I die"
- A numeral or string of numerals that is used for identification
"she refused to give them her Social Security number";
- identification number
- A clothing measurement
"a number 13 shoe"
- The grammatical category for the forms of nouns and pronouns and verbs that are used depending on the number of entities involved (singular, dual or plural)
"in English the subject and the verb must agree in number"
- An item of merchandise offered for sale
"she preferred the black nylon number"; "this sweater is an all-wool number"
- Add up in number or quantity
- total, add up, come, amount
- Give numbers to
"You should number the pages of the thesis"
"We must number the names of the great mathematicians";
- Put into a group
"The academy numbers several Nobel Prize winners among its members";
- Determine the number or amount of
"Can you number the books on your shelf?";
- count, enumerate, numerate
- Place a limit on the number of
- keep down
- Lacking sensation
"numb with cold";
- asleep, benumbed
- (followed by 'to') not showing human feeling or sensitivity; unresponsive
"numb to the cries for mercy";
- So frightened as to be unable to move; stunned or paralysed with terror; petrified
"too numb with fear to move"
Anagrams created from the word number