Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Noun: saying sey-ing
- A word or phrase that particular people use in particular situations
"pardon the saying";
- expression, locution
- Express in words
"He said that he wanted to marry her";
- state, tell
- Report or maintain
"He said it was too late to intervene in the war"; "The registrar says that I owe the school money";
- allege, aver
- Express a supposition
"Let us say that he did not tell the truth"; "Let's say you had a lot of money--what would you do?";
- Have or contain a certain wording or form
"What does the law say?";
- Give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority
"I said to him to go home";
- order, tell, enjoin
- Say (a word, phrase or syllable) in a certain way
"I cannot say 'zip wire'";
- pronounce, articulate, enounce, sound out, enunciate
- Communicate or express nonverbally
"What does this painting say?"; "Did his face say anything about how he felt?"
- Utter aloud
"She said 'Hello' to everyone in the office"
- State as one's opinion or judgement; declare
"I say let's forget this whole business"
- Recite or repeat a fixed text
"Say grace"; "She said her 'Hail Mary'"
"The clock says noon"
Anagrams created from the word saying