Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Verb: settle se-t(u)l
- Fall slowly to a stable position, usually on a surface or the ground
"dust settled on the roofs";
- settle down
- Bring to an end; come to a final conclusion
"The case was settled";
- decide, resolve, adjudicate
- Settle conclusively; come to terms
"We finally settled the argument";
- square off, square up, determine
- Take up residence and become established
"The immigrants settled in the Midwest";
- Come to terms
"After some discussion we finally settled";
- reconcile, patch up, make up, conciliate
- Go under
- sink, go down, go under
- Become settled or established and stable in one's residence or life style
"He finally settled down";
- root, take root, steady down, settle down
- Become resolved, fixed, established, or quiet
"The roar settled to a thunder"; "The wind settled in the West"; "it is settling to rain"; "A cough settled in her chest"; "Her mood settled into lethargy"
- Establish or develop as a residence
"He settled the farm 200 years ago"; "This land was settled by Germans"
- Come to rest
- Arrange or fix in the desired order
"She settled the teacart"
- Accept despite lack of complete satisfaction
"We settled for a lower price"
- End a legal dispute by arriving at a settlement
"The two parties finally settled"
- Dispose of; make a financial settlement
- Become clear by the sinking of particles
"the liquid gradually settled"
- Cause to become clear by forming a sediment (of liquids)
- Sink down or precipitate
"the mud settles when the waters become calm";
- Fix firmly
"He settled himself in the chair";
- Get one's revenge for a wrong or an injury
"I finally settled with my old enemy";
- get back
- Make final; put the last touches on; put into final form
"let's settle the proposal";
- finalize, finalise [Brit], nail down
- Form a community
"The Swedes settled in Minnesota"
- Come as if by falling
- fall, descend
- A long wooden bench with a back
- settee [US]
Anagrams created from the word settle