Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Noun: stocks stóks
- A frame that supports a boat while it is under construction
- A frame for constraining an animal while it is receiving veterinary attention or while being shod
- A former instrument of punishment consisting of a heavy timber frame with holes in which the feet (and sometimes the hands) of an offender could be locked
- The capital raised by a corporation through the issue of shares entitling holders to an ownership interest (equity)
"he owns a controlling share of the company's stock"
- The merchandise that a shop has on hand
"they carried a vast stock of hardware";
- The handle of a handgun or the butt end of a rifle or shotgun or part of the support of a machine gun or artillery gun
"the rifle had been fitted with a special stock";
- A certificate documenting the shareholder's ownership in the corporation
"the value of his stocks doubled during the past year";
- stock certificate
- A supply of something available for future use
"he brought back a large stock of Cuban cigars";
- store, fund, arsenal
- The descendants of one individual
"his entire stock has been warriors";
- lineage, line, line of descent, descent, bloodline, blood line, blood, pedigree, ancestry, origin, parentage, stemma
- A special variety of domesticated animals within a species
"he experimented on a particular stock of white rats";
- breed, strain
- Liquid in which meat and vegetables are simmered; used as a basis for e.g. soups or sauces
"she made gravy with a base of beef stock";
- The reputation and popularity a person has
"his stock was so high he could have been elected mayor"
- Persistent thickened stem of a herbaceous perennial plant
- A plant or stem onto which a graft is made; especially a plant grown specifically to provide the root part of grafted plants
- Any of several Old World plants cultivated for their brightly coloured flowers
- Any of various ornamental flowering plants of the genus Malcolmia
- Malcolm stock
- Lumber used in the construction of something
"they will cut round stock to 1-inch diameter"
- The handle end of some implements or tools
"he grabbed the cue by the stock"
- An ornamental white cravat
- Any animals kept for use or profit
- livestock, farm animal
- Have on hand
"Do you stock kerosene heaters?";
- carry, stockpile
- Equip with a stock
"stock a rifle"
- (animal husbandry) supply with fish
"stock a lake"
- (animal husbandry) supply with livestock
"stock a farm"
- Amass so as to keep for future use or sale or for a particular occasion or use
"let's stock coffee as long as prices are low";
- buy in, stock up
- Provide or furnish with a stock of something
"stock the larder with meat"
- Put forth and grow sprouts or shoots
Anagrams created from the word stocks